Saturday, January 10, 2015

Weekly review

Matthew is 9 months old! This checkup was great because there were NO shots!

(Oh my goodness, I had no idea Blogger could do this!)

Height: 29.25 (86%)
Weight: 22 lbs 9.5 oz (91%)
Head circumference: 46.7 cm (91%)

Funny story:  It snowed the day before his appointment, so the roads were kind of slick. As I was driving to the doctor's office, a red sedan went flying by me. I was going 45-ish, he was going at least 65 (the speed limit is 40). A few minutes later I came over a little hill and saw that car spun out into a snow bank! I saw the tire tracks where he changed lanes, he must've hit some ice or something. I laughed as I went by because there wasn't any damage to the car, but I'm sure there was a bruised ego!
-
We tried some new recipes this week, inspired by a Pinterest search for healthy meals from Aldi. Here are the ones we liked best...

Honey mustard salmon with asparagus - I don't like honey mustard, so Daniel used spicy brown mustard and added just a little bit of honey. He made a lot of the sauce, our food was kind of swimming in it, but it was still good. We would make it again.

Brown rice black bean bake - This is a nice and easy recipe that tastes good with chips, in a tortilla, or just on its own! There's a bit of prep work, but it was definitely manageable. It makes a 9x13 pan, so there's a lot of leftovers too. We would make it again.
-
I cut all my hair off and I love it! I went with an Anne Hathaway-inspired pixie cut and I have no idea what I'm doing with it but I think it's cute! Training my bangs and a new part is a lot harder than I thought, if anyone has any tips or tricks, let me know!

-
I went to my first spin class at the gym and liked it a lot! The seats are super uncomfortable though, that's going to take some getting used to. Daniel got a gym pass as a late Christmas present and is going to come with me when he can, I'm hoping we can motivate each other! He actually came with me to yoga on Thursday! I usually go on Friday and LOVE it, but tried out the Thursday class just to check it out. I was super disappointed, the teacher kept saying she was going to spend January "going back to the basics" then used the proper names of the moves and techniques (I doubt anyone else in the class heard Virabhadrasana and knew it was Warrior). She also talked way too much, and that threw off my balance for a lot of poses. I think I'll stick to the Friday class!
-
I went to Plato's Closet recently with a bag of my clothes, shoes, and bags, and like five of Daniel's shirts. They took three of Daniel's shirts and gave me $5. We just got our last loan check of med school (ahhh! and yay!) and we really need to stretch it until July. Part of me was upset that PC didn't take more, but at the same time I realized that I'm not 17 and the clothes I was trying to sell are not geared towards 17 year olds. So, I tried my hand at selling on eBay this week. It did not go well. Guess I'll be making a stop at Goodwill next week.
-
I threw a baby shower for my friend Steph on Tuesday, it was fun/stressful to find decorations and food for a dinnertime shower. I kept it low key and game free (to be honest, I'm not a big fan of games at showers) and we had chips and pretzels with dip, a fruit tray, Oreos and milk, grilled cheese and tomato soup, and some soda. The only picture I took was of the favors I made, all items courtesy of Dollar Tree!

-
Daniel is smack in the middle of a week of interviews. From Thursday-Wednesday he interviewed/will interview in Chicago, Dallas, Cleveland, and Indianapolis, along with one here. I have a love/hate relationship with these stretches of absence - I hate that Daniel's gone, but I love the groove Matthew and I have. I also HATE cooking for just me. When Daniel comes and goes it throws off the routine we have, and it's amazing how structured you have to be with a baby! Matthew has a cold right now, so he's been sleeping poorly, so I've been sleeping poorly. Daniel came home tonight after a long few days and I cried within 45 minutes of him being here. He didn't even do anything, I just got upset with him over little things because I'm tired. He's leaving again tomorrow morning and I'll have him to myself again on Thursday, I just need to hold out for a few more days! I keep thinking about going home in a couple weeks and that helps :)
-
Something I love right now - Fools Gold by Fitz and The Tantrums


I recently added a Fitz and The Tantrums station to my Pandora mix and I am loving it! These guys (and girl) work so well together and make such fun music! Matthew's favorite song in utero was The Walker. Also, I no-so-secretly think that Michael Fitzpatrick looks like a flamboyant Benedict Cumberbatch.


Am I right, or am I right?

-Jenn

1 comment: