Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Love to See the Temple

I spent the weekend in the St. George area with some fabulous people: Daniel, Mark, and my wonderful in-laws, Jeff and Kendra. Yesterday we went to Zion National Park and tackled most of Angels Landing, one of the more dangerous hikes in Zion. It was cold and snaining, but with multiple layers of clothing and bright yellow ponchos, we made it to Scout Lookout in about an hour. There was about an inch of accumulated snow and the rocks were slick. We had been advised not to go the last half mile to the final summit (you have to hold on to a wobbly chain and walk across a strip of rocks about 8 feet wide and 1,000 feet up), so we enjoyed the view and made it back down in about another hour. It wasn't so bad going up, but going down icy switchbacks was quite a feat. Luckily I had Daniel and Mark to help me down, and I didn't fall once! Here are some internet pictures to give you an idea...

21 switchbacks, affectionately named Walter's Wiggles

From Scout Lookout to the final summit, appropriately called The Steps of Faith

Chains and rocks and that's it

Almost to the top

Long way down...

Picture that all snowy and icy. Not fun. Today was much nicer and I found out just a little bit ago that Jeff and Kendra went back and hiked all the way to the top this afternoon. Jeff said, "If you don't already have a fear of heights, this is a good place to develop it." I don't think I could've done it.

Even though yesterday was yucky and I was soaking wet, it was very easy to see the beauty in Heavenly Father's creations. The big red rocks and waterfalls and the clouds and all of the wonders that are on this earth are only a portion of the gifts of the earth. There is so much to enjoy on this planet, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to explore part of it for a few hours.

Today we went to sacrament meeting and then drove to St. George. We stopped at the temple and it was incredible. You can see the temple from the highway, so I've seen it a few times while cruising on I-15, but being so close to it took my breath away. If I had to do my wedding over again, I'd seriously consider St. George, that's how much it struck me. These pictures don't do it justice, but here are a few from the internet anyway...






It was so beautiful to see the stark contrast between the red of the rocks and the green of the grounds and the blue of the sky and the white of the temple, it almost hurt my eyes to look at it. I don't think I've even seen an exterior so white before, it's like everything was glowing! There was so much peace and comfort in my heart; people, the church is true!

After the temple we went to Snow Canyon, just outside of St. George. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but again, lots of pure, natural beauty (taken from Google Images)...






Daniel and I seriously talked about going back for residency or fellowship or something. Who would've thought I wasn't done with Utah yet?

-Jenn

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful to have stumbled upon your website. I'm in the Stake Presidency in the small state of Rhode Island far away. I will be be speaking to a group on Sunday and was looking for photos of Angel's Landing. My family has been to all these places you mentioned. Your comments and site glow with goodness. Thank you for being a beacon of light in this world.

    Kelly Coates

    ReplyDelete