Friday, June 25, 2010

Plans = Frustration

I'm a planner (I thank my mother). Daniel is too. However, I'm a let's-make-plans-18-months-in-advance kind of planner, regardless of the plan (vacations, med school, babies, etc.). Daniel, on the other hand, is a let's-make-plans-3-weeks-in-advance kind of planner. We balance each other and it works. I spaz over a little detail 4 months out and Daniel calms me down and keeps me occupied for 3.5 months and then lets me spaz at the appropriate time. It's a cycle and it keeps us both (but mostly me) sane.

This evening, Daniel officially submitted his medical school application. It makes everything seem so much more real, this is actually going to happen in a matter of months! After dinner and Ocean's Twelve, in the never ending Duke vs. Harvard war, we decided to do some apartment searching on Craigslist. We talked and agreed on some stipulations (proximity to campus, highest amount of rent, number of bedrooms, etc.) and went to work.

Boston
Pros: Gorgeous city, awesome school ("Best in the world" -Daniel), several good sport teams, good public transportation
Cons: EXPENSIVE, little apartments (teeny tiny baby bathrooms), not many amenities, New England winters



Durham
Pros: Close to family, awesome school, bigger/cheaper apartments with amenities we want, great weather
Cons: Duke isn't as prestigious as Harvard (says Daniel), and...that's about it



Daniel has admitted that if Harvard was in Durham, it would be a win-win situation. Unfortunately, that's not the case and we're going to have to make some difficult choices in the next few months. There is so much riding on this decision, and even though it's a long way off, I'm already freaking out!

-Daniel and Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment