Friday, February 6, 2015

Weekly wrap up: NC edition #2 and then some

Sorry I didn't blog last week! I was soaking up every last bit of North Carolina-ness and then there was the whole trying-to-get-back-to-Milwaukee-in-a-snowstorm thing and I just decided to do two weeks of blogging in one post.
-
Before we left for NC, we had a pretty good idea of where we wanted to rank each program. After the interviews though, things were a bit up in the air. We've done some rearranging and feel good about everything, now I get to be a giant stress ball for the next 6 weeks...
-
My mom was able to take a couple days off of work and we went to visit my brother in Chapel Hill. Mom took us to the Streets at Southpoint and I was so upset to learn that this was just a few miles from us the entire time we were at UNC! We scored some good deals, including this sweater from Baby Gap


I've loved this sweater from the moment I saw it, but I was not willing to pay $40 for it. They also didn't make it in a size smaller than 2T, which was a bummer because I wanted Matthew to wear it immediately. I actually don't call Matthew by his name very often, I typically rotate through dudelittle misterbrolittle boymister boy, and Matthew boy several times a day, which might be why I like the sweater so much. I found it in a 2T and am planning on getting a lot of use out of it in about a year.


This is NOT an announcement, but I bought this little dress at Baby Gap too. You can't tell in the picture, but it's got a soft sparkle and adorable ruffle bloomers. I've never been the kind of person to buy baby clothes just because, but I was so smitten with this dress that I had to have it! Hopefully I'll have a little girl to dress up one day, but if not I'm sure I'll have a niece who will rock it!

This is how Daniel spends his time while I shop
-
A giant snowstorm came through the Midwest late last weekend, Daniel and I were afraid our flight from Charlotte to Chicago would be cancelled since pretty much every other flight to ORD was. We made it to Charlotte without a problem, and when we got to the gate in Charlotte I asked the agent if we were really going to take off and he said, "The pilot's here and ready to go." I really didn't think we were going to take off, but we did and were looking forward to getting back to Milwaukee. I realized after about 45 minutes that we had started making a giant circle. The pilot announced that he was waiting for clearance from Chicago so we had to kill some time. We got the all clear, started the descent, and then went around in circles again for about 30 minutes. The plane sped up and started climbing and I knew we weren't going to Chicago anymore. The pilot told us that there was a truck stuck on the runway and we couldn't land and we were going to St. Louis to refuel and then come back. It was about an hour to St. Louis, and as soon we got to the gate we found out the plane wasn't going back. Matthew had been such a trooper the whole time, but he lost it when we started deplaning (it didn't help we were in row 25 of 28). Daniel was supposed to start a class the next day, so we tried getting the airline to cover a rental car for us, but they wouldn't. Instead, they booked us for a flight the next day and gave us a list of discounted hotels. We were able to watch the third quarter of the Super Bowl and that's it.

Here's our flight path from Charlotte to St. Louis

Our plane sat on the runway for an hour in Chicago waiting for a gate to open up. Thank goodness there was an empty seat next to us! Matthew was pretty fed up with planes and airports by the end
-
This week has been all about settling back in. We don't have a lot of travel plans for the next few months, although we may take a weekend trip here or there if we can swing it. I am SO over the cold and snow, I'm really hoping this is our last hard winter!
-
Something I love right now - Agora by Bear Hands


Back in December, we took a trip to Chicago to check out the Christkindlmarket and other Christmas-y city happenings. I came down from Milwaukee and Daniel stopped by on his way back from an interview in Cincinnati. I got stuck in terrible traffic and my GPS was taking me all over the place to avoid it. I was sitting at a light waiting to turn onto yet another random side street when this song came on the radio and I liked it and clung to it in hopes that I would get to the hotel soon (it actually took about 20 more minutes). And I've listened to it at least once a day since then. There's no real particular reason why I like this song so much, but I just can't stop listening to it! I do love the sweet manbun and adult footie pajama action in the video though.

-Jenn

1 comment:

  1. You should let me know when you are in Chicago :) PS I LOVE the Christkindlmarket!

    ReplyDelete